Even after this experience of feeling terrible after eating gluten I am still going to go get tested for a gluten intolerance once we get better insurance :)
Monday, February 8, 2010
The Gluten Free Life
So recently I have just found out that I have a gluten intolerance, ok so maybe it has been almost two months, but I have been in denial about it. Since last summer I have been having stomach problems and I get frequent headaches. We thought the stomach problem was an ulcer, but after getting my stomach scoped in October it showed that it wasn't the problem. I just figured the headaches were hereditary considering two of my older siblings get them quite often also. After I had my stomach scoped in October the doctor put me on medicine for IBS, but I still wasn't feeling the greatest. In December my sister-in-law Stacey was watching Dr. Oz and there was a show on celiacs disease. I had a lot of the same symptoms that they described. So after Christmas I cut gluten out of my diet and I started feeling better. I kept telling myself that it was all in my head so after being gluten free for a week I went back to having it in my diet, I could defiantly tell the difference. So after that I decided that for me to feel well and do well student teaching I would go gluten free. If I have gluten in small amounts it doesn't seem to affect me, it is when I eat it in large amounts do I feel it. Yesterday was the super bowl and lets just say I over did it on gluten. This morning when I woke up I did not feel well at all and called in sick to my cooperating teacher. Through out today I realized how much gluten does affect me and how much better I do feel when I cut it out of my diet. Even though eating gluten free isn't any fun it is worth it because of how much better I feel when I don't eat things with gluten in it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
crazy, that your just finding out now! But, I have tons of friends who are gluten intolerant, and they live so healthy.
I'm glad your feeling better and that the no gluten diet is working for you. Are your headaches gone too?
Yeah for the most part my headaches are gone, but I do get the occasional one here and there.
Suz-
Good luck. I have a girl in one of my Foods classes who is gluten intolerant and we have to make adjustments for every lab that we do. Celiacs is a rapidly expanding disease and affects a lot of people, most of them are like you and don't even realize that is the cause of making them sick. Luckily, there is a ton of research on it and a lot of the products available are becoming better and better! I'm glad that you are feeling better though!
Post a Comment